Saturday, February 11, 2012

Her Past

Chaltu is sharing a lot about her life in Ethiopia, seemed to be our dinner conversation almost every night this week.  It is wonderful to hear her recount these memories.  Duane and I are in flux of how far to take our questions for her.  Currently I am very reserved when it comes to probing, really just letting her talk.  However we are really wanting to show her pictures of her family (from our trip) to ensure we know who everyone is and record their names properly so we never have to worry about her forgetting them.  But what do we show her, all the photos? the photos with us there? She is very happy in speaking about her family and seems very happy here with her new family, we just don't want to upset that balance.  She finally seems comfortable talking about her first mom and knows that we want her to, I think she was a bit scared to do that at first, but when she does I am quick to acknowledge and encourage her to talk about her/them.  I would love any advice here, what has worked...not worked...just your thoughts!

On a second note she is doing so well! School is really coming along, although I feel her teacher thinks we should be doing more for her with ESL/ELL, but we just have not been able to find anyone outside of school to do this.  I think her english is coming along brilliantly so I am not too worried about it!  I mean really she has been acing her spelling test and can tell you not only how to spell the words but what they mean! So...going to keep on keeping on!

well off to get ready for basketball (unless the snow makes them cancel)

5 comments:

  1. Aki walked in my home office within a week of my coming home and saw the photos I had taken on the birth family visit. I wasn't sure about his reaction, but he was absolutely fine. I put together a huge photo album, and we looked through it a lot when he came home... Every night it was the "book" of choice before bed, but it did not seem to make him sad at all. He does talk about people and things which occurred there.. but it is not every day now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. and as far as English. Aki did not know a word of English and had never had any type of schooling. He would have never been able to play on a team sport that early. I think the teachers are a little overworried there.

    Aki is doing fine with letters and sounds, but he would not be able to take and pass a spelling test at the first grade level. He was home quite awhile when I questioned if he knew 1,2,3, etc (because I was doubting it), and he said no, they use A, B, C.
    ;-) He is in a four yr old program, but I am sure he should be in k. At the same time he is doing really well there, and I think it works for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I've been an ESL teacher for about ten years, and I can tell you that Chaltu's English language development is amazing! There are so many factors that affect second language learning and she seems to have a lot of them working in her favor. Just keep doing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M's response to his birthfamily pictures was different depending on the day. Sometimes it brought him comfort; others it caused a tantrum. We made a photo box for him and he can look at the pictures whenever he wants; it's in his room. He hasn't looked at them in 2 months. However, just the other night before bed he asked if I met his brother and went to his house. You are doing the right think by following her lead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree... I think following her lead is good. Our boys are younger, but they have seen all the photos we took. They pull them out lots and tell me about them.

    ReplyDelete