Saturday, February 25, 2012

adopting again?

I have always wanted a big family, picturing the family dinners, playing together in the park...all the dreamy stuff, no worries I am well aware of reality, different personalities, what all I would have to make to have that family dinner (every night), the fighting, crying...
Duane and I have probably had one of the easiest adoption processes out there, while it felt at times like hell, it was very easy compared to others.  We were very blessed.  We have been home with Chaltu just over 2 months, her transition has been pretty easy and our transition of becoming parents is coming along!!  The balance of work and motherhood is still a challenge for me, but I am learning.

So Duane and have been talking about doing it again, while I understand we have only been home 2 months, we all know how long the paperwork process takes and we would prefer if we are going to do this again to get started sooner rather than later.  But we keep flipping back and forth, do we do it again?
If we do, where? ET again, another country? domestic waiting child, what age, siblings? All the same questions come creeping back up! Then there is the financial aspect to it all, we now have a child who is in private school, so we have to think about that as well. 
I really do want that big family, I want Chaltu to have siblings that live with her and that are not just a distant memory, I want to adopt again, but I want it to be right!  I would love to hear from those of you that have adopted again, your thoughts, did you go older, younger, same country.  What Country's out there are in need of parents?  I will say we are not looking to adopt an infant, this we know (unless it was a sibling match).  Any thoughts, info...please either comment or send me an email!!

5 comments:

  1. My heart just melted reading this! I often scan over the kids on http://www.adoptuskids.org/ wishing that I could adopt an "older" child. Yet, I want to keep the birth order in our house. Good luck and I look forward to reading your journey! :) Kala

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wonderful that you and Duane are considering jumping back in! I have no advice, but I will just say that having siblings is really rewarding, hard, entertaining, amazing.... Watching M and m together is great fun and I think having someone in the family who also has brown skin is a huge plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you are open to older, I would think about Ethiopia IF there is a waitlist child you might consider or they could give you a reasonable wait (due to age). I can totally understand where you are coming from. If money were no option, I would have already started on another one, but the reality is this is probably it for long term finances...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The due to age comment was NOT your age obviously... I mean maybe they could give you a reasonable expected wait because you are open to older kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me 9 months to talk Doug into adopting again! So, you know I will tell you to go for it! Maybe C would love a little brother or sister? Plus, weren't you in the queue for either one child or siblings? I feel like I know a lot about two African programs now. Email me at atoms626@gmail.com if you want to talk! So happy that everything is going so well with Miss C!!!!

    ReplyDelete