Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A blessing

Three weeks ago Duane and I walked through a gate and our lives changed forever.  In no time we were being greeted with a hug and kiss from our daughter, as well as being surrounded by about 20 other children.  What a day and what a place.  Our lives changed because of a few different things, the biggest of course was meeting our daughter for the first time.  We had so many expectations that we really had none!  She is just perfect, her sweet smile, adorable dimple, the cutest walk and a giggle that warms my heart.  She showered us throughout the week with as much love as we had for her.  God had truly blessed our family.  I have been praying since we began this process to God to put a peace upon our child/children hearts that they had a forever family, when we were matched with CC, my prayer was the same just specific to her! He did this indeed, there was no hesitation with any of us towards each other. 

The other impacts that week that we had were all of these children.  Each day we would walk through the gates twice and both times we were not only greeted by our CC, but by all the children and they were all so lovely. They craved attention and affection but in such a sweet way, that while we would spend time with them, I would forget where we were, at a transition house in Ethiopia located in a very impoverished area, a place where broken bottles are used as "barbed wire" around the tops of buildings, where electricity would come and go as well as phone lines.  But none of that would cross my mind when I was being surrounded by 20 sweet souls.  But, it was not just that I would forget where we were, but I would at times forget why these children are there, these loving, funny, energetic, HAPPY children.  There are not a lot of toys there but they did not need a lot, the space is like a school yard where they get to play, but they never get to leave the school yard, there rooms are nice, the walls are decorated, but they sleep in these rooms with other kids, some even sharing a twin bed, but they are happy loving children, These children are there due to some tragedy whether losing their birth parents or having to be relinquished is such a tragedy.  They have possibly lived in a few "homes" along the way, they have seen more loss that I have as an adult.  But, I would forget all of this as I played with them, laughed with them and watched them! These children taught me a lot, one is enjoy the moment, that is what they did, they would enjoy the moments they were having.  I will never forget these kids (thankfully I have met some of the forever families so CC will never forget them either!) but mostly I will not forget what they showed me, how happy THEY made me. 
I cannot wait to go back, to see my CC, to bring her home, I also cannot wait to go back and see those kids and not only shower them with love they are craving but let them shower me with their love.

2 comments:

  1. What a great description of triumph over adversity. I can't wait to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post brought back so many memories of being there. You are so right... The children are amazing- I lack words to share the amazing beauty that shines so brightly - right next to the ashes of poverty when I try to explain being there to others.

    ReplyDelete