Tuesday, August 31, 2010

will I be out of line?

More and more I am seeing what I think are parents who have adopted Ethiopian/African children, at the grocery store, last week in target, even customers where I work!  First I am so excited and thinking that will be us soon!  Then I think can I go say something, can I ask them questions, can I hear their experience????  This is what I am putting out to the blog world, can I ask? if so how? I do not want it to come out wrong! As we are getting more into the process I just want to know more, these blogs are fantastic for that, but if there are people living in my city that have been through-it would be amazing!!  So I ask what do I do? Do I leave it alone and just know one day that will be me or can I please approach!!

5 comments:

  1. yay! you have a blog! i'm so excited for you both. i say ask away...it would be great for you to connect with other families who have been there. good luck! *praying*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too wonder about approaching families I see in my city =) I get so excited, but am always wary. Fortunately I have been able to connect with local families who have adopted from Ethiopia via area Yahoo groups that organize periodic get togethers. Maybe your town has something similar? Oh, and in response to your post on my blog...we are adopting siblings between the ages of 0-4!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say thanks for "finding" me and commenting on my blog. It is always great to connect with another family with a story similar to ours. I look forward to following your journey. (Hope you're going to post some pics :) ) Which agency are you working with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't speak for everybody, but I would say ask. If they get offended, don't take it personally they surely have their reasons. I personally love to hear of other families that are adopting. My kids were adopted when they were older so they don't feel awkward when people ask about them. I have actually met some amazing Ethiopian adoptees because they asked me at the store if my children were Ethiopian. I have been so glad to meet people this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just found your blog. We're in the process of adopting from S. Korea. I always wonder the same things when I see kids who are likely not bio kids - can I ask? I usually don't. It makes me sad because they'd probably like to talk if they knew that we were in the process, but my initial asking will likely be awkward.

    ReplyDelete