Saturday, January 14, 2012

Adopting "older" children

When we first started this process we had decided that we wanted a child/children no older than 4.5, as things moved on we decided to change that to an older child (feel free to read earlier blogs!).  Wow what an amazing decision we made, this girl is AWESOME, the things we are experiencing with her being older is so much fun!!!
While the communication can be tough, we have all figured it out.  To see her delight in so many new things is amazing.
There are things that babies just grow up and know as they are normal for them, we are getting to see her have these things for the first time! 
The other night I was telling her about the Father/Daughter dance her school will have in February, she got so excited and we had to practice dancing! But then she realized she would need a dress, well she got 2 dresses from my in-laws so we ran upstairs and when she put one of them on ( I almost cried) she was so giggly and excited!  It was the cutest things I have seen.  This is just one of the many things that we have witnessed her seeing. 
There is so much new for this girl and she understands it! 
Of course I advocate any and all adoptions, everyone has their limits (lack of better word).  But if you are considering older child adoption...it is a blast!!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, and yes! We did it times two, and it's amazing for all of the reasons you stated above. I wish more families would consider older kids, who aren't old at all! I am so happy to hear you are all doing well, and to see you with your beautiful daughter melts my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see pics of her and Duane on dance night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious! Thanks for sharing. You know, there are older children that are at HH right now and were there when we were there last summer. I can't stop thinking about them, especially one girl that I was greeted with hugs and kisses every time I saw her.

    ReplyDelete