Friday, July 15, 2011

What my niece taught me..

This past week we had our niece for 5 days.  She is almost 8- just a year younger than our Little CC!
We had such a great time, we painted our nails, did a scrapbook, played games, went to the zoo, on a picnic and to the pool!

What I realized is that I do have pretty good mom instincts, but other things I was a bit slow at!  Sleeping, so my niece Vivien wanted me to sleep with her, not a problem, so we slept in the queen bed, as we have not set up CC's bed (which is a trundle), the first night I got zero sleep, as I continued to wake up to a foot in my back, an elbow in my side...now seeing how GREAT of a decision the trundle will be!  I can still be there, but hopefully not get beat up!  TV, ok so Duane and I watch TV, but not a whole lot Vivien lives for it...ugh...this will not be allowed for CC- there will be much outdoor time and activities, however if I turned off the TV and played games or colored with Vivien she was just as happy! So I did that a lot!  Eating, yes I did feed her she is 8 so she knows what she likes, but what we did notice on day 3...was that she needed a mid-morning snack, her blood sugar would drop and she became very moody- unfortunately we did not realize this in time to have fun at the zoo...oh well!  our picnic was great!
"I am good"- after she had crept upstairs...that meant I am feeding the cat MORE treats so he will like me! Putting a kids movie on did NOT make her wind down and fall asleep...it made her giggle and be silly!
Scrap booking- I had started this a year ago ( I am not crafty- I tried!) but had never finished it...that became our project- what a great time we had- on one page she would put all different stickers and flowers and stuff, the next would have 2!  But she was happy so I said nothing!!

All in all we had a great time! It gave me some reality- meals need to be scheduled, as does bedtime, there is no "me" time...while I definitely know this stuff already- it was real life!  I LOVED every part of it!!  I cannot wait to get CC home!
Vivien and I
Having fun with her Uncle Duane and the animals!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you guys got a trial run! I worry about the total loss of "me time" as it's something I've enjoyed for awhile now...yikes!

    Our neighbor has 2 young kids and this morning when i was heading out for a run (ME TIME) their youngest was running naked in the front yard. His older sister was chasing him and their mom was on the phone, in her pjs, holding a diaper and laughing her ass off. =) I have no idea what I am in for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the parent of a 7-year-old girl, I would say that you've learned pretty much everything you need to know. Snacks and bedtime. Up until this summer, our kids hardly watched any TV. Actually, I think they were the weird kids at school who don't know who any of the TV characters are. It's not that we're opposed to TV, rather that we just really don't have time for it. As for "me time," that's what bedtime is for!! I'm a nut about bedtime, and even if the kids aren't tired, they have to be in their beds reading so that I can have some time to myself.

    ReplyDelete